Fleetwood's Reviews > Embassytown

Embassytown by China Miéville

Jul 06, 12

Read in July, 2012

I didn't really like this book at first. It was hard to get into. Hard to grasp. The writing was excellent and flowed well. Yet, As it was a science fiction novel, the author made up words and used them like he expected you to know them already. However, after a word was used enough and I finally grasped the true meaning of the word, I felt a sense of accomplishment and a better understanding of this crazy imaginary world. This book is based on language and how language can shape a person at its core. Not only its personality, its references, etc. The aliens in this book can only speak truths. It is like a word puzzle figuring it all out and again as you do figure it out you realize how totally cool it is. How well thought out and intricate it all was from the beginning. It just takes a little patience to get there. Now I can't stop thinking about it. I can't. I want more. Like 345 pages just wasn't enough. Amazing book really. I can't recommend it enough. I only gave it four stars because of the difficulty in actually getting there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embassytown.