Skip's Reviews > Catch the Lightning

Catch the Lightning by Catherine Asaro

Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I know a lot of people don't like SciFi because of all of the gadgets and what not. And Asaro loads her books with gadgetry and physics. But I love it!There's a reason why the tricorder looks like so many of the gadgets we use everyday. I especially felt vindicated (to my old man anyway) when one of the characters mentioned all moments happening at the same time. We've been arguing whether or not time travelers can actually change the future for years now. Or wait, was that from another book?
I'm not really sure what to say about this novel, the series, and Catherine Asaro in general. I like this book, but didn't love it. I like the series, but don't love it. I like the writing style of Asaro, but don't love it. My feelings toward Asaro is very similar to my feelings to Lois McMaster Bujold. I like them both--but, I've never been wowed by either. Oddly, however, I often find myself thinking about the characters months after I read the last book in their series. It's strange to have such ambivalence. I don't necessarily like the books, but I can't stay away from them either! What I think I like about them is that they manage to portray femininity into their writing (and not just as sex), even with all of the gadgets and machoism. I love having female writers in a very male dominated genre!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch the Lightning.