Katherine Williams's Reviews > Fear of Flying

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

F_50x66
Jul 06, 12

Read in May, 2012

This book has been on my to-read list for years. On a recent vacation I thought it would be a fun read. At first it was but by the end of the book I was both disappointed and disgusted.
This book is often referred to as a feminist classic. As a cradle feminist I want to say: in my opinion this is not a feminist classic. First, the writing is not particulary good. Second, the protaganist is attracted to a man that is just plain disgusting. The worse part is she is in love with the jerk -- hardly the "zipless fuck" the book is supposed to be famous for. I don't think the trade off for a "zipless fuck" should be having to deal with a complete jerk!
In addition in my opinion the book is not particulary erotic -- another claim the author makes. Having sex with a dirty man who is mostly impotent, while staying in awful hotels or a tent next to an European highway, is not my idea of a fun or erotic time.
In addition I did not appreciate Erica Jong's uninformed digs at psychoanalysis. From this book it is clear she has some big issues -- perhaps she can re-enter analysis and actually do the work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear of Flying.