Christy's Reviews > The Stubborn Dead

The Stubborn Dead by Natasha Hoar

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: e-book, read-in-2012
Read in July, 2012

I found out about The Stubborn Dead when Kimba sent it as a recommendation on Goodreads. It’s a novella, roughly 70 pages long, so it’s a very quick read. You know that saying “good things come in small packages.” Yeah, that definitely applies to this book.

Rachel is a rescue medium for The Order, which means she helps ghosts and such move on whether they want to or not. Believe me, they aren’t always willing. Rachel is a tough cookie, though, so she can take a little roughing up by a spirit. However, she meets her match in The Stubborn Dead when a supernatural being that is supposed to be extinct is thrust into her life. Things are much bigger than Rachel realizes, because it’s not just the dead she needs worry about.

I think the introductions to the other characters that are obviously going to play a big part in future books was done very well. Janus, the fae mafia boss caught my attention. He’s going to be a fun one, and I already like the chemistry he has with Rachel. I’m also looking forward to more of Jo, a human with a lot of connections and a lot of weapons. And then there is the mysterious Mr. Grey and Luke; I’m dying to find out more about them.

The Stubborn Dead really was a great little read, but there is one thing that sort of bothers me: I so badly wish Rachel had a different name. I keep thinking of Rachel Morgan, from Kim Harrison’s series, especially since it seems to be somewhat similar in the world building. I guess I’ll just have to make room for two Rachel’s, because I love them both.

Overall, this is a must read for anyone who likes urban fantasy. I mean, really, what do you have to lose? It’s a novella, so it won’t take long to read. Just do it!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stubborn Dead.