Chelsea's Reviews > Darcy's Story

Aug 28, 07

bookshelves: anti-recs, janeausten, retellings, own, historicalfiction, 2006
Recommended for: no one
Read in January, 2006

Within the first chapter, Darcy explains to Colonel Fitzwilliam who Lady Catherine is.

For the record, he explains to his cousin who their aunt is.

It's crap. A big, steaming pile of crap.

Just read Pride and Prejudice again. You'll be reading half of the same words, anyway, and they'll be much better in Austen's voice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shannon (Giraffe Days) ... If there were a prize for awkward exposition, this book would win every year.

Just finished it, and couldn't agree more! (It came to mind as I was reading the book, and I couldn't help wincing!)

Chelsea It's truly one of the most terrible books I've ever read. Jane would not approve!

Other authors did this story much better.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Do you recommend any?

I've read one that followed on from P&P in which her father is dead and the Collins' move in to Longbourne, and Lizzy leaves Darcy and is pregnant ... it was very silly and I can't remember the title. Wasn't impressed by that one either.

And I've read Pemberley too - or I think I have, don't know if I finished it or not. I remember the beginning, and thinking how much better written it was than that other one. But I honestly can't be sure! It's very frustrating, this pathetic memory of mine!

message 4: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 05, 2008 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Chelsea I loved Pamela Aidan's trilogy, Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman. It retells the entire book from his point of view, split up into three novels, just like the original P&P was. It's well written, and she doesn't try to convince everyone that she's Austen. She's smart enough to realize that she's not, I guess. :)

The second book is the weakest, because it covers the part of the story when they're apart, but the series as a whole is really good. None of the other P&P retellings I've read have come close.

Also - I don't recognize the one where her father dies and she's pregnant. Do you remember which one it was?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I haven't heard of that one, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

No, I wish I did. Someone lent it to me, my Nanna perhaps, years ago now. I remember it as well as I do because it was so soap-opera-ish, very melodrammatic. It's probably out-of-print now. Pemberly isn't easy to get hold of either. But I'm going to ask the amazing people at the LiveJournal blog "What Was That Book?", they know everything and have helped me out in the past.

Chelsea Too funny - I saw the post in What Was That Book? before I got your comment. :)

Definitely check out Aidan's series if you get the chance. They were just reprinted in the last year or two, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Who are you on LiveJournal?

Yeah, I posted that straight after writing the above comment, or I knew I'd forget! People respond so quick, I love them! Am beginning to think maybe the book I'm thinking of is Pemberley after all?

Chelsea I'm laneyseradias on livejournal.

I never bothered to finish Pemberley, as it literally put me to sleep. All I remember is Elizabeth throwing a temper tantrum and running out of the house in the middle of a thunderstorm. And yet, that was what put me to sleep.

Have you gotten the chance to look through any of the lists people linked?

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Yes, but apart from the Emma Tennant books nothing was familiar, and going by the descriptions nothing matched either.