Wendy Darling's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: ala-2012, pn-reapers, 2012-publication, september, hmh, hilarious, action-packed, read-2012, 2012-favorites
Read from July 06 to 10, 2012

Ideally, sequels not only expand upon the stories and themes introduced in their preceding books, but they also improve upon them. Scorch does a great job of upping the stakes for a group of young grim reapers in an entertaining way, in both the action and character development departments. This sequel features tighter plotting, is faster and funnier, and makes you enjoy your time with its likable protagonists even more than you might've the first time around.

I really liked: Uncle Mort's hilarious attempts to minimize Lex and Drigg's makeout time, jellyfish venom, the further developments of Lex's (and Driggs') powers, and a really cool twist at the end that changes the direction of the story and an important relationship.

And my favorite quote:

That doesn't mean you get a free pass to ride the baloney pony whenever you want to. Got it?

Heh. Definitely check out Croak and Scorch if you enjoy humor mixed with your YA urban fantasy.

An advance copy was received by the publisher for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Midnight (new) - added it

Midnight oh i can't wait to see how you feel about this one. I read the first one and loved it :P

Wendy Darling So far, so good, Midnight! This is a fun series. :)

Lina (From the Verge) Ohhh I just finished Croak, and I can't wait to read this one!! The first one was very creative. I hope this one is fun too!

Wendy Darling Honestly, I think I like this one even better than the first, Lina. You're already over the "setting the stage" part so you jump right to all the good stuff, hah.

Bonnie I was pleased with how enjoyable Croak was. I'm glad to hear that this one is even better! :)

Wendy Darling You'll have a great time with it, Bonnie! Fun times. :)

message 7: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Valentine The first book is on my favourites shelf, so I'm really happy to see this sequel on yours, Wen! :) <3

Wendy Darling Oh, you'll love this, Mimi. :) I can't wait for you to read it.

Maria Wendy!!! *sniffs* I need a hug. :( *cries again*