Stephen's Reviews > Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, humor
Read in July, 2012

This should have been simply called, Sedaris Fables.

These are dark tales for the dark time that we live in. For those who did not get a laugh, I believe they had to do some serious soul searching as to what character they may be in these stories. I know a few people who are a menagerie in themselves. Yes, Sedaris goes to extremes to make his point. But he is creating fiction that blends so much of reality that it is hard not to see truth, unless you are not someone who already sees it. It will be sad when Disney tames these fables down fifty years from now. For now, I recommend these tales of caution. Yes, perhaps they will confuse you or make you ponder or counteract your last pill, but they make you think and feel, and isn't that the goal of any good literature?

I recommend if you have never heard him tell a tale, that you find an episode of This American Life on NPR's website where he is featured and then read this book, using him as your personal narrator. You'll laugh, because you'll understand his wit a bit better.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.