Cardmaker's Reviews > Summerland

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

Jul 06, 2012

Read in July, 2012

"On a warm June evening, the students of Nantucket High gather for the traditional graduation bonfire on the beach. But the celebration ends in tragedy after a horrible car crash leaves the driver, Penny Alistair, dead, and her twin brother, Hobby, in a coma. Penny's boyfriend, Jake, and her friend Demeter are unhurt but haunted by the events of that night, and by the questions that linger about what happened in the car - and what happened in the dunes before Penny took the wheel.

For Zoe, the twins' mother, the unthinkable awaits: life without her daughter, and an agonizing recovery for the son who had been a star athlete with infinite prospects. Free-spirited Zoe has been as much friend as mother to her children, but now she has to face devastating truths about them, and about her own role in all that happens.

As summer unfolds, Zoe and the other parents must ask whether their efforts to protect their children from life's realities have only left them more vulnerable. The key to understanding the accident lies in what Penny learned that evening on the beach - but will it also destroy the survivors' fragile peace?"

The story told in this book covers a lot more than what the blurb on the back of the book tells us. The author spends time on each of the main characters in the story, telling it from each of their points of view. I found it to be a compelling and interesting story, easily read but difficult to put down. I actually read the entire book (388 pages) in one day. Even though I didn't want it to end (who ever does want a good story to end?), the author finished it in a very satisfactory way for me. I look forward to more of her stories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summerland.