Tanya's Reviews > Grave Memory

Grave Memory by Kalayna Price

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012, urban-fantasy
Read from July 06 to 16, 2012

After opening her PI firm with her friend Rianna, Alex Craft gets involved in a series of what appears to be suicides. But what's happening is much more sinister. The plot was strong and an enjoyable urban fantasy read. However, I don't think it moved Alex forward much as a character. All the trouble that was going on with Fairie last time was just barely touched on this time. She's no closer to deciding on what she'll do about it (which court, if any, she'll align herself with). I suppose there was forward movement with Death, but then they took two steps back, so it doesn't count. It just complicates things.

There was some forward movement with her father, but still not enough for my tastes. I always enjoy the times he pops up. He's a schemer and has grand plans, but I don't think he's quite as disappointed in Alex as she seems to think he is. Somehow, I think she's headed in the way he wants her to be. But, all of the unresolved issues of her family (exactly what the hell happened to her brother anyway) (view spoiler) are a few of the things that drive me crazy about the series. Which is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5.

I usually don't mind love triangles. They're not my favorite, but they seem to be a construct of the genre, so whatever. But it doesn't seem Alex leans one way or the other or that Ms. Price does either. Neither one are a legitimate option with the restrictions placed on them. Alex seems to go for whichever one shows her the most interest at the time. I'm team Falin and was disappointed by how little he was in this book. I like Death, but it just seems so much more impossible for Alex to be with him than Falin. I just feel that in the end, there'll be a way to get Falin away from the Ice Queen Bitch, I mean Winter Queen. And I always like a cocky asshole in books.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book and enjoyed this one. I just hope the love triangle won't span throughout the whole series and we get a little more knowledge of Alex's family and what her father is up to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.