Joe Jones's Reviews > Advent

Advent by James Treadwell

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, supernatural, magic, mythology, favorite-books-published-in-2012
Read in July, 2012

Gavin is a 15 year old teenager living in England who just doesn't fit in. His problem is he sees things that are not there, in particular a woman he calls Miss Grey. When he is shipped off to visit his Aunt for a week, Gavin's imaginary world quickly intrudes into the real one. He then has to figure out just what is going on and who he really is before it is too late.

This is book one of a new trilogy that is a mash up of the Faust and Gawain legends. I'm still trying to decide if this is supposed to be a Teen book or an Adult one. Either way I did really enjoy it and look forward to reading the next in the series. I did have a few problems with the book though. The pacing was a bit slow for me in some parts. Also, while the book is well written, the language really impeded the flow of the book at times. I found myself having to go back and reread parts to make sure I understood what was going on. Overall, I still give it a 4 rating because of how the author was able to immerse me in his world and create characters I truly want to see what happens to next. Isn't that all we really want from a good book?
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Advent.