Peter Bylone's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, kids, weird, murder-suspense
Read on July 26, 2012

I want to start by saying that I really enjoyed this book. I didn't expect to, but once I started I couldn't put it down. I received this abook through the 'first reads'
Giveaway program. I thought it would be something my son would be interested in reading, but wanted to make sure I gave it a read beforehand, since it did sound kind of dark. The story hooks you right from the beginning, the characters are believable and well developed and there is a good mix of tension, supernatural activity/action and teen romance. Most of the story centers around Blue, the daughter of a town psychic, though the text is dominated by a group of boys from a well-to-do private school. Some of the twists in the book could be seen coming, but many were surprising and some that I expected never came to fruition, which was surprising in it's own way. The biggest complaint I have about the book was the ending, which I felt left too much 'out there' to be resolved, but as I figure that this is going to be a new series, I'm willing to forgive that somewhat. To summarize, I was totally drawn in to this story, and read it every opportunity that I could (finished it in under a week). I recommend this not just for YA fans, but for anyone who enjoys a good story. This would make an excellent summer read, and to my initial intent, is entirely acceptable for most kids (there is one emotionally charged exchange where the f-bomb is dropped, but it's appropriate for the story at that point, and is the only instance of language that I can recall). I really look forward to seeing the next book in this series available so I can learn more about these characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.