Samantha's Reviews > Insignia

7092069
Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: ya-dystopian, trilogy-book-1
Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

This book reminded me a lot of Harry Potter Book 1 as weird as that may seem. Its about a boy who gets pulled from his miserable, going nowhere life because he is special, and placed into an academy along with other special teens. What follows is Tom getting used to the new school and way of life, making friends, questioning authority, and interacting with girls. To me, that sounds a lot like Harry Potter. However, magic is replaced by a computer installed in Tom's brain, wizards and witches are replaced with military personnel , and the threat on humanity is World War 3.

Even though, this was about a 14 y.o. boy, I really liked this dystopian. I didn't fully understand the world building...the war is basically being fought by corporations who run a dummy government...but I thought the concept was really cool. All the fighting in the war takes place in space where teen operators "plug in" on earth and drive the space ships through virtual reality. Also, you get A LOT of story for your money, which I always appreciate and I ahve to admit I could not put this down towards the end. It was also funny at times, like when Tom is in a sim but appears as a girl and fondles himself. HILARIOUS!

Anyway, a good read overall :) looking forward to the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insignia.