Ashton's Reviews > Tribulation Force

Tribulation Force by Tim F. LaHaye

Jul 09, 12

Read from July 04 to 06, 2012, read count: 2

I was a little bit more into the story as I came to the second book in the series and was hopeful that it wouldn't feel as dated as the first one had. I was immediately disappointed by the Prologue of this book. I really dislike writers that feel like the need to summarize their entire book in the prologue of the next one. Give readers some credit, most of us realize when we are reading a series and read it in order accordingly. If we are true fans of the series, we'll reread each time before it comes out. There isn't much reason to go back through everything that happened in the previous book during the first five pages or so of the new one, especially when the characters themselves think back on those events often throughout the book.

The content of the book itself was okay. It was a bit slower than some of the other books but I liked it for the most part. I don't think the story was as detailed as it could have been but I often have that complaint with writers. I love to be able to see the world around me without having to make a lot of it up in my mind, whether it's characters or their surroundings. But as it's the same as the writing style in the first book, it's not really an issue.

Something that I really didn't like about this book is the way that the author suddenly jumps forward eighteen months, I think, in the last fifty pages or so of the book. It was no secret from the beginning that this would be a multiple book series so I don't see the point of jumping forward in this one to that point. The book could have easily ended without this jump and I feel like the story suffers a bit for this. After the break, the writing becomes shorter and more condensed rather than developing the story. It feels like he just wanted to get this part over with rather than really spending time to develop it for the readers.

I understand this left the book on a better cliff hanger but I feel like it was a poor style to throw those last fifty pages or so in if the only point was to make the ending better, especially when you're just going to repeat the ending in the next prologue.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tribulation Force.

07/06/2012 page 416