David Traver Adolphus's Reviews > The Hammer and the Blade

The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp

Jul 17, 2012

bookshelves: old-school-fantasy
Read from July 06 to 08, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyable. Not quite a throwback, but definitely in the manner of Fritz Leiber. The author has written mostly Forgotten Realms books and I think that shows--he doesn't really stretch himself and the plot is very linear. I was also a little unhappy with the tremendous abuse heaped on the protagonists; and the way they shrugged it off. I'd find myself asking, "Wait a minute, wasn't he stabbed a minute ago? What happened to that?" There's also a fairly major subplot that goes nowhere at all.

I want to see Kemp break out of his formula, because I think all the elements for something really good are present. Don't get me wrong--The Hammer and the Blade kept me reading eagerly and happily, but I certainly didn't feel challenged and I wasn't exactly drawing analogies to Scott Lynch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hammer and the Blade.

07/06/2012 page 41
9.0% "Old-time sword-and-sorcery, with a modern tone. I haven’t started something this satisfying in a long, long time. I feel like I’m 12 reading Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser again."