Howard's Reviews > Full Dark House

Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler

Jul 16, 12

Read from July 06 to 16, 2012

I used to love reading Christopher Fowler's stand alone books years ago and the characters Bryant and May would occasionally pop up in them, so after many years I have once again started reading Christopher Fowler. Only this time his more recent series exclusively starring the detectives. I have to say I did enjoy this book but it did very much feel like a scene setter. The story was split between the present day and their first ever case during the blitz. Essentially splitting the book between 2 stories made it feel sonewhat lacking to me, for the majority of the book it was set during the war when Bryant and May were in their 20's yet they still came across as old. This is partly their character but I couldnt shake the feeling that I would get into the second book a lot more. I wasnt disappointed by any stretch but somehow Full Dark House didnt do justice to my fond memories of these two ageing detectives. I'm moving on to the Water Room now and I hope to enjoy this one like I did Rune when I first came across the decrepit duo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark House.