Sam Quixote's Reviews > FreakAngels, Volume 5

FreakAngels, Volume 5 by Warren Ellis

Jul 06, 2012

Read in July, 2012

SPOILERS

This is quite a trippy book in the series: Luke and Mark are both supposed to be dead and yet are alive. Luke begins theorising about how they are immortal and that their powers, “the package”, are revealed more as they have actual death experiences. And there is an unseen presence on its way to Whitechapel that Mark was afraid of and the others have not seen yet.

Fans of Warren Ellis will know he has a tendency to go very abstract in his writing (a la Grant Morrison’s default writing style) and he does so here talking about time moats and upgrades to powers and the deeper meaning of it all. In places he takes the action into some multi-coloured dimension where time and space intersect and we catch glimpses of a future Whitechapel and what the Freakangels become.

The only downside to this book is the amount of exposition needed to get these points across so the book has a largely static pace and muted tone to the previous volumes. It’s necessary for the overall series but not particularly exciting. That said, I still enjoyed the hell out of this book as it further develops the characters I’ve fallen for and shows the potential directions the stories can go in.

I know this is the penultimate book in the series but it seemed from the way Ellis is writing that this is the first phase in a vast story and the Freakangels series could easily go further than 6 slim volumes into even more varied futuristic, steam-punk stories.

If you’re a fan of the series this volume won’t let you down and if you’ve not discovered this series yet but are a fan of Warren Ellis’, give “Freakangels” a go, it’s brilliant fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read FreakAngels, Volume 5.