Lisa (Badass Bookie)'s Reviews > Burn Mark

liked it
bookshelves: to-swap
Read from July 05 to 13, 2012

Rating - 3.5

The Short Story? - A very original approach to YA paranormal! Beautiful world building and a thrilling plot, Burn Mark was filled with action, drama and the endearing romance of first love. Told with a unique narrative voice, Burn Mark is a brilliant novel with so much to offer readers! With fantastic characters, a british setting and the paranormal touch, this is definitely one to put on the radar!

The Long Story? - Burn Mark was a solid read, there were parts in which I was a little iffy about but all in all, I very much enjoyed it! One of my favourite things about Burn Mark is it's premise. Set in modern day Britain where witchcraft is openly accepted ability (although feared) - the novel offers something different and unique. I loved the world-building Powell took upon, she has somehow weaved witches into her story in way that seems less paranormal romance and more futuristic reality. One of my main concerns with Burn Mark was the pace, the plot was really slow to pick up and I thought it would have been better to be more direct. However once we passed that slow curve, I very much enjoyed Burn Mark. The plot is well planned, it's an entertaining novel and it's definitely worth putting on your radar. Brilliant unique!

The characterisation was very well done. The novel is told from the dual perspectives of Grace and Lucas. Both characters are a little young in my opinion, I don't know many 15 year olds that can handle this kind of excitement in their life but YA is YA. I really liked Lucas, he was a very likeable character. That softly spoken personality of his is very attractive and he's a very nice boy! Over the course of the book I also grew to really like Grace, initially I thought she was too brash. Lacked manners, bad attitude, not very ladylike but her attitude is really just protection. Losing her mother at a young age has really done a number of this girl! Both characters played key roles in the novel and they compliment each other beautifully. The whole opposites attract theory really shows through! :) Overall, great characters!

All in all, Burn Mark was definitely a solid novel with a unique premises and an interesting plot. I would definitely recommend everyone to give this novel a try. I certainly enjoyed it and I'm sure many of you will too! The pace was a little slower than what I would have like but in the end, it didn't really matter! I can't wait to see what the sequel brings us after the bombshell Powell dropped right at the end! Put this one on your radar!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Mark.

07/06/2012 page 68