mark monday's Reviews > Locke & Key, Volume 4: Keys to the Kingdom

Locke & Key, Volume 4 by Joe Hill

131922
Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: comikon

oooooo... the eeriest of rollercoaster rides, a rush of images, sinister vistas zooming in and out of view, unreal tableau cascading pell-mell, willy-nilly, hurly-burly: an homage to Bill Watterson, a bloody battle between birds and wolves; racial dismay and distortion in an insane asylum; a hockey loss, a greenhouse comes alive, sprouting wings, battling chains, battling squirrels, a death-tune, the end of friendships, battling teddy bears, battling friends, the worst way to win at hockey; an homage to EC Comics, soldiers in battle, a ghost with an agenda and an autistic child, a "philososcope"; a long-awaited confrontation, the return of a terrible tune, a terrible death, a terrible transformation... Joe Hill (brilliant writing) and Gabriel Rodriguez (brilliant art) decide to unleash everything at once and the effect is wonderfully disorienting, the carefully scattered puzzle pieces begin uniting in mad spurts, the slow pace moves into fast-forward, everything comes together, everything falls apart... my hands gripped this volume too tightly, my eyes wide, my mouth agape, my brain began to hurt...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Volume 4.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ronyell LOL! Awesome review Mark!

mark monday thanks Ronyell! i tried my best to do justice to the crazy rush of events that happen in this book. of the 4, this installment really feels different.

Ronyell mark wrote: "thanks Ronyell! i tried my best to do justice to the crazy rush of events that happen in this book. of the 4, this installment really feels different."

Yeah. It's like so many things were happening all at once in this volume, but the story was still pretty consistent.

mark monday i think i read somewhere that the next volume is the final volume. which makes sense i suppose. but it is a sad thing!

Brandon Great review! I love this series and it only gets better as it moves along. Can't wait to read Vol. 5!

mark monday thank you sir!