Jamio's Reviews > Devil's Kiss

Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: no-triangle, stands-alone, 1-star-covers

Devil's Kiss was a lucky library find for me. I brought it home out of desperation and put off reading it for weeks because I was sure I wouldn't like it. Surprise! It's a good book. The plot starts right away with fifteen-year-old Billi SanGreal's induction into the Knights Templar: she must dispatch an undead creature in the guise of a six-year-old boy with her stern and exacting father, Arthur, looking on. From there, the story might sputter a bit, but where it runs well its a smooth ride.

I have only read a smidge of King Arthur take-offs, and even less angel-lore stuff, but the mythology was really good--I got the feeling the author did his research (but never felt the need to dump it on us). I enjoyed an Arthur story that wasn't all about the love triangle. The book was full of Gawaines and Kays but not one Gwen or Lance in sight.

The cover gets points off even though it is very pretty because Billi, full name: Bilqis, is half-Pakistani and the cover model is white-white-whitey. I hate it when they do that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Kiss.