Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)'s Reviews > First Frost

First Frost by Liz DeJesus

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, e-book, review-copy, young-adult, owned-and-read
Read from July 05 to 08, 2012

I am a big fan of fairytale retellings, and this one did not let me down.
First Frost is a story full of adventure, humour, magic and love.
Set in the modern day, Bianca and her Mum run a museum filled with artifacts from famous fairytales, unknown to Bianca the artifacts are real and the museum has been run by the Frost family for generations, what Bianca doesn't know that as well as fairytales being real she is also descended from Snow White, and oh she's also a witch!
After her Mum is kidnapped by an evil witch, Bianca sets out with her best friend Ming to go and save her, which means stepping into a portal into another world called Everafter where all the fairytales took place.
And of course they run into the obligatory Prince Charming who's aim in life is to save a Princess or a damsel in distress.
What about you? Change your mind about Prince Ferdinand yet?" "Prince I-Love-Myself-More-Than-Anyone? Blah, blah, blah, I'm a Prince. Blah, blah, blah, I have a castle. Yeah, right. I'd rather deal with the Neanderthals in school than the Prince...even if he is royalty."
I love how he's exactly how you'd imagine a Prince from a fairytale to be, he is also traveling with a childhood friend Terrance, whom Bianca becomes quite interested in.
So with their group they set off for the evil witch's castle to rescue Bianca's Mum with some help from some of the museum's artifacts.
Along the way Bianca get's to use her witch powers to aid them and practice's for when she meets up with the evil witch.
"I think I'm gonna throw up!' she shouted as she looked down to where her friends were. "Don't blow chinks down here, B. I didn't bring any shampoo so if I smell like vomit I'm gonna have to stop being friends with you for a while. I mean it," Ming shouted back. "I'll try." "Don't...blow...chunks!" Ming shouted.
There are some famous fairytale characters that appear in Everafter, and it was really exciting the way that they were written into the storyline , and I think it added more to the general story the way that they interacted with Bianca and her friends.
I really loved the romance that developed between Rose and Terrance and I can't wait to see where their relationship will go in the next book especially after the ending, which had me wishing that I had the second book waiting and ready to be read!
I can't wait to read more from this author her writing is fresh and exciting.
I give this 4/5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Frost.