Julie's Reviews > Pure

Nov 08, 12

bookshelves: france-french-theme-setting, historical-fiction, read-2012
Read from November 04 to 08, 2012

revue à suivre

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

11/04/2012 page 50
11/05/2012 page 105
31.0% ""Over Paris, the stars are fragments of a glass ball flung at the sky." p 72 "...(it tastes, poor thing, as though pickled in its own tears)." < Referring to a slice of calf's head> A collection of images beautiful and absurd. Can't wait to see where we're going!"
11/08/2012 page 203
60.0% "Now that the election is over and I can calm down and concentrate, I might actually finish this tonight." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie Why have I never heard of this author? Who wasn't doing their job? Crikey!

Cheryl Same. This was a terrific book. It was widely expected to be long listed for the Booker, but that was the year of Stella-in-charge. My conspiracy theory is that they meant to list this, but some dweeb accidentally did A.D. Miller for Snowdrops, and they were too embarrassed to admit mistake and couldn't recant.

Julie Hee! Love this, Cheryl. And glad to know your enthusiastic reaction to the book. I lived in New Zealand for a spell and discovered so many writers - Kate Grenville being one - who receive short shrift or are barely mentioned in the States. Or maybe it's just my short-sightedness. At any rate, look forward to giving this a go.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 06, 2012 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cheryl I lived in NZ too, in Auckland for 8 years, and that is also where I discovered Kate Grenville. I bought her book The Idea of Perfection in the Whitcoulls downtown, I remember. Also discovered other Australians like Thea Astley and Tim Winton. They are big names down under, but I was surprised to find on moving back to Canada that they weren't known. Same with some of the biggest NZ names, like C.K. Stead, Janet Frameand Frank Sargeson, but maybe because they are old classics now. It makes me fretful that I am not hearing about and am missing out on similar great authors of other countries -- as if my TBR list isnt big enough!

Julie Oh, I love that you lived in NZ! We were in Christchurch for a spell, then bought a house in North Canterbury, south of Kaikoura.

Tim Winton is one of my favorites.

Cheryl Ki-koooorrra (rolling the r's). Lovely area of the south island.

Cheryl je me réjouis de votre révision (ouf!)