Michael Burhans's Reviews > I Loved You First

I Loved You First by Reena Jacobs

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from July 05 to 09, 2012

This book really spoke to me. I suppose it might be because when I was younger I had a good friend who was a lesbian and I had a severe crush on her so i could really identify with the problem our protagonist Alexandria faced. She also had the added burden that they had been best friends since childhood adding to the pain of the unrequited love.

I thought author Reena Jacobs handled her internal conflict with tact, sensitivity, and real pathos, without ever making her pitiful and whiny. Not an easy feat.

The conflicts and situations Alexandria and her friend find themselves in were as real as your own college experience. It never felt staged or forced. The parties were like parties I attended back them. The people reacted like real people.

I thought it a really good exploration of what is love, and who are we in our deepest selves. How does one deal with conflict and disappointment? This book will work out your emotions. It is funny and sad, sometimes it will make you angry, other times it will make you feel triumphant. I give it my full recommendation. Not at all your usual YA read, yet not something you'd be afraid to let your teen read too. There are so few really good books out there that I have found so far with good, and real LGBT characters in it. This one is a good start to fixing that problem.

Go get a copy and enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Loved You First.

38.0% "things are getting serious now."
72.0% "Sadder than I expected."