Justin's Reviews > Monument 14

10719338
Sep 01, 13

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 06 to 08, 2012

**Just after finishing Sky on Fire, I realized it ramped everything up!

"Only, if it's the last you'll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you'd stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus."

Dean's day started out pretty normally. His mom calling him saying that he'll miss the bus, him ignoring her because he thought he would see her later.

BOY, WAS HE WRONG. If he had known a giant hailstorm would suddenly appear out of nowhere and cause mass destruction throughout the town of Monument, CO, if he had known that deadly chemicals would leak out and turn lots of people into savages, if he had known that he would be trapped in a Greenway superstore with 13 other kids in elementary, middle, and high schools, he probably would've gone back to his mom and say that he loves her, or maybe missed the bus.

So, most of this story is how these 14 kids will live in this massive Greenway with supplies to last them for years! Will they figure out how to weather the elements? Or will they crash and burn?

Wow. Just wow. I loved this book. Just the concept of it was amazing. AND THE ENDING! A little character buildup would've been nice, but other than that it was fine.

I'm guessing the sequel is in Alex's point of view now... (view spoiler) D: I WANT THE SEQUEL RIGHT NOW! D:

I was partially right! And I'm glad that Emmy decided on a short story to explain Jake's absence!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monument 14.

Quotes Justin Liked

Emmy Laybourne
“Your mother hollers that you're going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don't stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don't thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not- you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.
But the bus was barreling down our street so i ran.”
Emmy Laybourne, Monument 14

07/06/2012 page 25
9.0% "Woah. This sounds great so far."
07/06/2012 page 80
27.0% "First a freak storm, then a mega-earthquake and chemical poison? DANG. I think Max is one of the funnier characters. I mean his experiences! "Just a bunch of moms dancing in their string underwear. Big whoop." XD" 3 comments
07/07/2012 page 165
56.0% "Hmm...I wonder who the "guardian" is and what he wants....." 4 comments
07/08/2012 page 236
80.0% "Yay he got shot! XD I like how it picked up again around this point instead of just talking housekeeping. The 2 guys seem nice, though i dont think so based on the next few chapters..." 1 comment
07/08/2012 page 243
83.0% "NOW WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Dean's day started pretty normally, with him being a bitch to his mom.

Anyway, why would the sequel be from Alex's point of view? Why not both?

Justin Matt wrote: "Dean's day started pretty normally, with him being a bitch to his mom.

Anyway, why would the sequel be from Alex's point of view? Why not both?"

Cause Dean stayed behind in the store w/ Astrid, Chloe, and the twins? I wouldn't think there would be much action there. Plus, Dean gave his journal to Alex?

message 3: by Matt (last edited Sep 17, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Dean's day started pretty normally, with him being a bitch to his mom.

Anyway, why would the sequel be from Alex's point of view? Why not both?"

Cause Dean stayed behind in the store..."

Justin Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe they'll have to leave to get help since she's pregnant? (That's still messed up.)

Hmm, that could be reasonable. I forgot she was preggo though. :P But won't the chemicals turn them into monsters?

Matt Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe they'll have to leave to get help since she's pregnant? ..."

Only Dean and one of the twins, I think. Sedation/airtank are options maybe?

Justin Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe they'll have to leave to get help since s..."

Astrid's one. None of the twins were I think, unless Chloe was her name... Where would we find air tanks be in a Greenway?

Matt Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe they'll have to leave to get..."

I don't know, I was just suggesting stuff. :P

Justin Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe they'll have ..."

That's why we need the book now! Emmy should write faster! XD But then the book might not be as good if she does that...

Matt Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: "Justin wrote: "Matt wrote: I don't think there would be much action there either, but maybe we'll get something, instead of just leaving Dean behind. Maybe ..."

Probs. It's not even listed yet :( No title, no date...

Justin Matt wrote: "Probs. It's not even listed yet :( No title, no date..."

NOT ANYMOAR.