Phuong Phan's Reviews > In the Middle of Nowhere

In the Middle of Nowhere by Julie Ann Knudsen

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: yabc-challenge, teen-romance-group-reads
Read from July 09 to 12, 2012

First and foremost, I’d like to thank the author – Julie Ann Knudsen – for sending me the book. It was a great read for summer!
On to the review:

_______________________SPOILERS ALERT_______________________

Sypnosis: “In The Middle of Nowhere” is a coming-of-age story of a 16-year-old girl named Willow Flynn. After her father’s death, her family, consisted of Willow, her mother, and younger brother, had to move to an isolated island - Pike’s Island - to live in her uncle’s vacation home because of financial problems. There, she met Tessa Anderson, a popular girl who befriended her and led her down the wrong path, and Michael Cooper, a mysterious boy who sent her cryptic notes. Unlike what she had expected, Willow found happiness and love in the middle of nowhere.
The novel is a story about a 16-year-old girl’s self-discovery. Willow is an extremely relatable protagonist because she went through all the real problems a teenager would face – peer pressure, gossips, crushes, and family problems. Everything she went through was so real, I feel like she was a friend. I totally understand her emotions and reactions.
I particularly love Michael! He was super sweet and cute! Michael is definitely a great male lead! He was mysterious at first. I, like Willow, was totally clueless about all of Michael’s weird behaviours. Michael brought Willow happiness and helped her to cope with her mother’s remarriage.
As I continue reading, all the pieces came together and everything made perfect sense. I like the author’s writing style. It is simple and easy to follow.
My only disappointment with this book is that Michael and Willow’s relationship doesn’t have much progress.
All in all, “In the Middle of Nowhere” is a light read and would be a great addition to my summer beach bag.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Middle of Nowhere.