gail's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

F_50x66
Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

After I'd ordered this book from the library, I read a review (or maybe a couple of reviews) that seemed to pooh-pooh this book for people looking for a book about the trail and the experience of being out on the trail. The reviewer seemed put off by the intensely personal nature of the writer's extensive reflections on her life and her losses. I almost cancelled my order for the book because it sounded like a total drag and not what I'd expected.

I am so glad that I didn't cancel this book. Yes, there is a lot of personal detail - it's equal parts memoir and trail story - but Strayed artfully weaves stories from her past into the narrative of her time on the Pacific Crest Trail in a way that makes both lines enchanting.

It took me a while to get into this book. After I read the first chapter or so, I put it down for a couple of weeks and forgot all about it. But yesterday I picked it up again because I wanted to pass the 4th of July on the hammock reading a book,and I literally could not put it down.

Inspiring and intensely readable, this book was hard to put down once it got going. I wonder how many through-hikes on the PCT and Appalachian Trail Strayed will inspire?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.