Marylou's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

Jul 08, 12

Read from July 05 to 06, 2012

I think the fact that Langston Hughes can, in just 33 words, express the love, admiration and pride he has for his race is amazing and a testament to just how skilled a writer he was. Charles R. Smith Jr. was the illustrator and he used photographs rather than illustrations to put the words with pictures. He won the 2010 Coretta Scott King Award for this book and at first glance it was apparent why. The cover picture is so warm and welcoming that I felt an immediate desire to see more. Mr. Smith used such a wide variety of subjects and each one was perfect for the part of the poem in which they appeared. The pictures go so beautifully with Hughes' words that the entire story just flows from start to finish. I really enjoyed this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Dawn Lindey I loved it too! I thought it was a beautiful way to instill pride in a generation of young African Americans who most likely would not have heard of Langston Hughes any other way. My daughter is in 9th grade and she had no idea who he was...how sad!

Marylou Dawn wrote: "I loved it too! I thought it was a beautiful way to instill pride in a generation of young African Americans who most likely would not have heard of Langston Hughes any other way. My daughter is in..."

That is sad!! He and the other key Harlem Renaissance figures are taught in our 8th grade history classes (7th grade for most of VA - Chesapeake however marches to their own beat). We give examples of their individual works and stress them all - I will now be sharing this book though too.

Dawn Lindey I know, it is sad...one of the downfalls of a private school I think...Good news is that her school for the fall has an amazing English department:)