ElaineY's Reviews > Sweet Talk

Sweet Talk by Julie Garwood

Apr 26, 14

bookshelves: mf, netgalley, mf-to-be-read-next, series-universe-characters, romantic-suspense
Read from April 23 to 24, 2014

REVIEW OF AUDIO & EBOOK; APRIL 24, 2014
Narrator: Angela Dawe

The Story: The Prologue was so irrelevant to the book I had to stop and check the book's blurb and my files to see if I'd uploaded the wrong files to my iPhone! I hadn't. I was listening to what seemed like an endless audio drivel about "Pips" (Whatever they are. Orange pips?) and a bunch of girls that I only realized, after I was done with the book, that they are likely to be the heroines of future books.

I found this book terribly disjointed as far as following the MCs because something would happen that would bug one of them about the other but it wouldn't be dealt with. For example, Olivia was very bothered by Grayson not calling her, or contacting her in any way, after their first (and very heated) kiss. He simply disappears, leaving her wondering what went wrong and thinking he obviously didn't feel their attraction as acutely as he did. Later on, there's another kiss (or was it a sex scene?) and Olivia doesn't hear from Grayson again and we're not talking days here, it's weeks. Two months, in fact!

It's only much, much later that we hear from Grayson his reason for keeping his distance from Olivia is he wanted to wait until he made an arrest. This just didn't fit well for me, the way the romance and the two MCs were constructed. If the author wanted to portray Grayson as a disciplined man who wasn't ruled by his dick, then don't give them that kiss in the first place; don't have the heroine pining for him then not even tell us what's going on inside Grayson's head until so much later.

This disjointedness in the development of the romance made ST a very frustrating book. Worse in audio since I couldn't keep rewinding to see whether I missed Grayson's explanation in an internal monologue; and instead of following the suspense thread (what little there is), I was constant listening for Olivia to pin Grayson down and ask him why did he kiss and run. Olivia never did ask him that in spite of being very affected by that hot and cold attitude from Grayson. She just chooses to play it cool and not ask him when they meet again months later yet we, the readers, are clearly told his behavior had hurt and unsettled her because of the depth of her feelings for him.

So...that brings me to the suspense thread. Um, what suspense? There wasn't any. Just some bit about Olivia's father running a ponzi scheme that was the ultimate bore as far as this genre is concerned. My God, I was even wishing for a serial killer to pop up! Anything but having to follow that thread and waiting for more Grayson/Olivia scenes - or better still, Grayson/Ronan scenes. Short as those were, they were far more interesting than anything else, except for the early Grayson/Olivia interactions.

For a little while, it seemed as ST was going sparkle (if you survive the senseless prologue) but it soon disintegrates and goes "poof!".

Three stars because I did finish the audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Talk.

04/06 marked as: audio-to-listen
04/23 marked as: currently-reading
04/26 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ElaineY The negative reviews have got me curious because the blurb sounds like just what I enjoy. I'll go into this with low expectations...:)