Trinity's Reviews > Shadows

Shadows by Paula Weston

Apr 22, 13

bookshelves: sawoon, young-adult, favourite, home-grown-aussie
Recommended to Trinity by: Nomes
Read from October 26 to 27, 2012

If you told me last week that I'd be fan-girling over a YA urban fantasy series I would've stared at you blankly then hurled a copy of Friday Brown at your face. *Quietly eats hat*
I loved this book.
Loved.
And it's an angel book. *ducks* I know right?

So let the gushing commence!

From the first paragraph I knew I'd love this book. Knew it because it smacked with flavours of Kirsty Eagar and Vikki Wakefield and I was immediately at home. The prose in this book is stunning with that gorgeous Aussie edge that I've come to crave in most books. I connected with Gaby, feeling her grief and emotional isolation from the first chapter. Gaby is a strong character and made all the more interesting because she shouldn't exist. You see she is really someone else, a someone that she can't remember. But we'll come back to that.

Every night Gaby dreams about fighting demons and hell spawn with a guy we'd all like to fight demons and hell spawn with. Then dream guy walks into a bar.

Rafa.

It feels like too long since I've added a book to my 'sawoon' shelf, I almost feel like I need to list it twice. Dammit this book made me sigh. *fans self* Rafa claims to know who Gaby is, actually he's more shocked that she's got no clue who he is and he has some *cough* interesting methods of trying to snap her out of it.The history between these two adds an interesting dimension because, well, it's one sided. Rafa keeps expecting Gaby to tear his head off but dear Gaby doesn't remember. This makes Rafa take pause and while he does muck around with her a bit, it's obvious how much he respects her and wouldn't take advantage of the situation no matter how much I Gaby wants him to.

Now let's talk about Gabe/Gaby (no Gabe's not a guy, she's not really a guy...I never thought that for a second...) Gabe is old Gaby. Gabe is an half-angel badass who eats hell beasties for breakfast. She also sounds like she has a major stick up her ass. BUT. She is who Gaby is supposed to be. But Gaby is Gaby she has a life, friends, values, she is a real person. What happens if she gets her memories back? Would Gaby cease to be? Would she just get absorbed into stick-in-the-mud Gabe? It's like if someone came up to me and said 'Hey Trish' and I'd be all who you callin' Trish bub? (though if it happened around here I'd just assume they were high and smile and run away very very fast) But what if it turned out my whole life is a lie? I'm actually some computer genius working for the government and not someone who attempts to grow veggies? I don't wanna beeee a computer genius, I want to be me. But I'm not me. I'm someone else. Ow, my head hurts. Gah I love it.

My biggest gripe with angel books is how they handle the theology side of things. They ignore it, make fun of it, make it sound weak and lame. Not here. Without being heavy handed with the subject Paula manages to weave a world that still feels grounded in (I'm gonna say it) Christian history. The Rephaim shouldn't exist. They're an accident. A result of a wild night with some fallen angels and human women. They aren't human, they aren't angels, they're something else. And they have to save themselves if they don't want to get sent back to hell with their dads. This whole idea actually made me take pause. They have to save themselves. There's no rescue plan for them, no sacrifice, no pact with heaven. They're very much on their own. And they're all so beautifully human as well. So flawed. Some following orders others rebelling others being apathetic. In fact there's so much us in them it made me feel sorry for them. How are they possibly going to get out of this?

With all this existential questioning going on you might think this book is a dense slog, it's not. Paula manages to weave these layers through the book in a way that doesn't slow the pace or cause you to put the book down. It's a brilliant testament to her skill as an author!

This book sucks you in. I finished it the day I started it then I lent it to a friend the next morning who devoured it in one sitting. The prose, the swoon, the characters, the story. Everything, everything here I loved. I cannot wait for the next book. Hurry up June!

This review and other such things can be found on my blog Trin In The Wind
------

Weekend sorted

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows.

10/26/2012 page 99
25.0% "Holy crap this is good."
04/22/2013 page 221
56.0% "Even better the second time round! RAFA <3"
04/22/2013 page 388
100.0% "I LOVE this book so much. My copy of Haze cannot get here fast enough!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Yay! So glad you loved it :D

Trinity Emily wrote: "Yay! So glad you loved it :D"

It was so good Em I devoured it in one day haha

message 3: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Awesome review. I have to bump up my 4 stars to 5 as I keep loving it more as i have more time to process (plus, I have picked it up two more times to reread passages)

I never imagined I would love an angel book either :)

Trinity Nomes wrote: "Awesome review. I have to bump up my 4 stars to 5 as I keep loving it more as i have more time to process (plus, I have picked it up two more times to reread passages)

I never imagined I would lov..."

Look at us Nomes! We're just a couple of angel-loving crazies! I still can't believe I loved it so much.

message 5: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes it was just an awesome book. and exactly my kind of thing with the older YA feel. seriously cannot wait for #2

Carly Cornish okay I'm going to read it now. I shied away from it because I've read some terrible angel books (except for Daughter of Smoke and Bone which was awesome!)

Surin Awesome review Trinity. This totally caught my interest

"Let's just take a moment to side note how brilliant it is that Gaby isn't some random 18 year old girl who caught the attention of a 130 year old guy and now there love is true and eternal. *fist pump*

I never liked the whole 'ancient paranormal' hot dude falling in love with a teenage girl insta-love crap so yes I'd fist pump to that (and heck maybe even toast a beer glass or two).

Trinity Carly wrote: "okay I'm going to read it now. I shied away from it because I've read some terrible angel books (except for Daughter of Smoke and Bone which was awesome!)"

Yayayaya! I really hope you love it! And now I'm feeling the pressure ;) I loved DoSaB too :)

Trinity Surin wrote: "Awesome review Trinity. This totally caught my interest

Thanks Surin :) *raises beer glass* I always think of myself as a teenager and how ridiculous I was haha no vampire man would think me special ;)

Surin I know, tell me about it! When I was a teenager I was such an insufferable know-it-all I'm surprised I didn't stab myself with a knife. It's always amazes me that somehow the ancient and wise Vampire Man would say wow I've never met anyone like you before and you make my heart beat in the first 10 minutes of interaction (let's ignore the fact that said Vampire Man doesn't have a heart but oh well). Really? *twitches*

Trinity haha yes!

message 12: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat I'm gonna have to check this one out! I had a similar dubious feeling going into Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (figured the whole angels thing was bound to leave me cold) but ended up really getting on board.

message 13: by Eveline (new) - added it

Eveline Hunt Pretty feet ^___^

Trinity Eveline wrote: "Pretty feet ^___^"

naw :)