Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > Seduction and Snacks

Seduction and Snacks by Tara Sivec

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: nook-tbr, ntm_authors_2012, less-than-3, not-finished, awful, hopes-reads
Recommended to Michelle by: Tessamari's 5 star ... wonderful review!!
Recommended for: I didn't like it ... so you decide.
Read from July 06 to 07, 2012

Reviewed by Hope

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Helen's Review:
2 Stars

This was a disappointing “DNF” for me. I was almost finished, had about 30 pages to go, but it was just too absurd to keep me any longer and I knew I had lost all patience. I was ready to scrap it about 30 pages in, but then it made me laugh. I laughed so hard, in a few places in this thing, my sides ached. So, you’d think not a total waste. And, you would be correct, but this author didn’t know when to stop with the humor. She used it as filler for a story seriously lacking. Almost like having sex for the sake of sex in a book. Same thing here with the humor. And, if I had read the words vagina or penis one more time I would have killed something … I love those words, but seriously!

Also, I firmly believe I’m very liberal in my views on most things. I think one of the very things I have some rigidity about is how children are portrayed in books. She had this poor kid [4 years old] saying things a veteran trucker or sailor would have issue hearing come out of their own mouths. The innuendo this 4 year old is supposed to understand and imply … asinine. I just felt really sorry for the parenting skills portrayed. Then the very next minute they had him acting like a baby. A four year old is not a baby and most talk very well with a large vocabulary at this age. And his behavior, all very frustrating for me.

I think this book has been marketed all wrong. It is more Saturday Night Live does romance. If I had known this, may have been better and I may have had more patience, but then again, I probably wouldn’t have given it the few hours I did. One suggestion for this author … pick something. Either focus on the humor or focus on the romance or develop your talents to balance the two much better than this debut demonstrates.

I would not recommend the entire book to anybody. There are places I thought very entertaining from a comedy perspective, but I wouldn’t wade through the rest just for those glimmers of light. Just sayin’…

You won’t be Happy Reading this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduction and Snacks.

07/06/2012
8.0% "An interesting voice in this one. The author uses humor to tell the story and it doesn't always work well for me. I'll hang with it to see where it goes, but not sure me and this style works very well. I'm strange ... I know. Never much cared for those Airplane movies either."
07/06/2012
13.0% "I am LAUGHING so HARD I have TEARS running down my face. This is a riot!!"
35.0% "Liz to Claire:
"You think you have it bad? That fucktard Drew think he slept with me. I can see it in his eyes. He's trying to remember if he knows what I look like naked. Like I would ever let my lady bits near someone who wears an "I pooped today" shirt..."
07/06/2012
50.0% "I had a boss one time who called meetings at random. They were incredibly dis-functional, boring meetings. I began to count his usage of the word "shit". He loved it and used it ruthlessly. Why am I telling you this? You can do this with this authors use of either the word "vagina" or "penis". Take your pick, but it is pretty incredibly overused. Not sure the snip-its of laughter is worth the other junk..."
07/06/2012
50.0% ""He had my eyes. He had my fucking eyes! I quickly tried to do the math but my brain was a jumbled mess and I couldn't remember what number comes after potato!"

I can't read because my eyes are closed from laughing so HARD!! When she is on, ladies & gentlemen, she is ON ... FIRE!!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Uh-oh...doesn't look like it played out to well!

Michelle [Helen Geek] It didn't .. at all. I was sorely disappointed.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Oh wow! This shocks me. I'm so sorry you didn't like it. Looked like from your status updates, you were liking it. :(( I'm not having much luck with recommending books you. The kid made me laugh, but the again I don't have kids so his mouth didn't shock me. Sorry, Michelle :(

Michelle [Helen Geek] Oh, no worries. I'm a big girl and really don't mind. If I did, I'd never read anything anyone rec's and that would be no fun. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Seriously, no worries. I'll keep reading your reviews and following you. I think for every 3 I like there may be one I don't, which is not bad at all.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Nice honest review Michelle. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Thanks for the review, Michelle! I always enjoy getting differing takes from friends on the same book.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille Thanks for the review...was iffy on whether I wanted to try this one but your insight helped make up my mind. It's a no-go for me.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter She used it as filler for a story seriously lacking. Almost like having sex for the sake of sex in a book. Same thing here with the humor.
Sometimes it's just too much. And what you said about the kids? Not good. Good and honest review, Michelle! Thanks for the heads-up.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Thanks Baba!

Holly's pages in pink Pretty accurate review, I think. Never have I laughed so hard- but agree about a lacking storyline- was thinking something might branch off of the Tasha situation, or even questioning paternity (doubts at least!)- so many opportunities to turn it into something emotionally stronger...**sigh**

Michelle [Helen Geek] I know. I really can't remember laughing so much in a book for quite a while. It was almost like bad comedy from a very talented comedian. So funny until it just wasn't anymore. No point to it so you had nothing to relate to or fall back on. It is getting some really kick ass reviews, so I'm definitely in the minority here, but I need more than just tabasco ... you know? Gotta' have something to sink your teeth into and this just never did it for me and the stuff they put that kid through - alarming. So, yep. I was not a fan and I won't be reading more by this author. I have a feeling, she is getting kudo's from this presentation she won't see the need for improvement.

message 12: by Searock (new) - added it

Searock Thank you so much for this review, Michelle. I have heard raving reviews for this, but now I'll be going in with my eyes wide open.

Michelle [Helen Geek] See Splage's cooments too. She says a few of the same things.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just started this one, so I'll be curious to see if we have similar feelings or not.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Oh, I hope you enjoy it Stac! It is funny and I laughed more than I had in a long time with this one, then it just became very monotonous. And, like I mentioned, I hated how she portrayed this young boy.

Keep us posted.

Crystal Totally agree with your review Michelle. And you've saved me having to write one :) Every character's voice sounded the same, even the 4 year old! I actually felt like a prude reading this, I think you can have too many references to penises and vaginas just for the sake of it. Oh well, still enough laugh out loud moments to keep me reading :)

message 17: by Searock (new) - added it

Searock Twilight, of course.
The only one that a writer doesn't get sued for :)

Not surprising, it was called "The Vagina Monologues", (I forget the subtitle). There's a million "vagina" references, so it makes sense.

Paula I liked your review, because FINALLY someone else called out the incredulity of the behavior of 4 year old Gavin. While I LOVED the book and the author's comedienne style, I couldn't get past all the inconsistencies with the character of Gavin. You can't have him acting like a 2 year old toddler, and then having speech and comprehension skills like an 8 year old. It doesn't make ANY sense. BUT...since I took this book as a stand-up act, more than fine literary prose, I overlooked it and just enjoyed the ride. Tara's got some mad comedic writing skills - she's destined for TV writing, I think!

message 19: by Dena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dena Could not have said it better myself! This review was spot on.

Ellie Janco "One suggestion for this author … pick something. Either focus on the humor or focus on the romance or develop your talents to balance the two much better than this debut demonstrates."... Well said. Completely agreed.

message 21: by AnniLuvs (new) - added it

AnniLuvs Well I found this at the library and it is available so I will start it because I'm a lover of LOL-moments-when-reading-romance type of girl.

Michelle [Helen Geek] AnniLuvs wrote: "Well I found this at the library and it is available so I will start it because I'm a lover of LOL-moments-when-reading-romance type of girl."

Good luck!