Jason's Reviews > So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning

So What Do They Really Know? by Cris Tovani

Jul 05, 2012

bookshelves: professional
Read in July, 2012

Cris provides some great teaching and assessment strategies from her own real-world classroom. The focus here is on reading, not writing (bummer), and the students are mainly lacking basic skills. At times, I thought, My students wouldn't need to do this!, but Tovani's do. I guess I should be grateful to have the student I do have.

Anyway, there's still lots of good stuff here, and I'll be returning to my copy, which I marked up (er...annotated) with my notes and reactions. I think Cris would be proud of me.

Still, Tovani loses a point for not revealing how she actually grades all the essays she assigns her students. She never really talks about that process, except that she and her students look at early drafts a lot in class, so she doesn't have to spend as much on the final draft. But I wants the deets, Cris. I want the deets!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So What Do They Really Know?.