Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Born in Fire

Born in Fire by Nora Roberts

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: audible, romance, steamy
Read from July 05 to 06, 2012

Written in the mid-90s, this book is a big step up from Roberts' O'Hurley novels, despite nominal similarities (mainly in the pseudo-shiftless, Irish father).

Maggie Concannon isn't the kind of heroine that normally appeals to me. She's tempestuous and impulsive and argumentative and way too willing to inflict emotional pain on those nearest to her. Fortunately, she has a softer, humbler, more caring side to her that comes out when it matters most. This let me care enough to want to see her be happy.

Rogan Sweeney isn't the kind of hero that normally appeals to me, either. He's bossy and commanding and way too willing to manipulate others into doing what he thinks is best for them. Fortunately, he has a humbler, softer, more caring side to him that comes out when he can see that his more forthright methods would endanger the very things he wants to accomplish.

So I hadn't thought I'd end up caring much about this novel, even if I was never truly tempted to simply stop reading. By midway through, though, I'd seen enough of the complexity of the characters to be fully invested in wanting them to succeed and cheering for them as they overcame the adversity of Maggie's circumstances (and what a chilling portrayal of a mother gone completely off the rails in her duty to nurture and protect her children!).

A note about the narrator: It took me a while to get used to the narrator of this Brilliance Audio production. Fiacre Douglas' sentences tend to be delivered quickly and with a faint pause at the end of each. This makes it sound, at first, like he's running sprints and timing himself to see how fast he can get to the end. It doesn't help that much of the book is read in an Irish accent and, while I love the sound and flow of the words, I'm not very good at decoding even this mild accent at speed. After a bit, though, I caught the rhythm of his reading and it stopped bothering me.

A note about Steamy: While there's only a couple of explicit scenes, one of them was markedly hot. Not that it was that much longer than normal, or more explicit, or anything, but Maggie is an unashamedly passionate woman and that came out in spades.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born in Fire.

07/05/2012