Natlukens's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Nov 15, 12

bookshelves: cooking-farming-etc
Read from November 03 to 04, 2012

I have a bone to pick with this lady. She somehow (impossibly) stole my cracker recipes (cheese crackers and wheat crackers) from my head, almost entirely. The only difference is I use far less oil (2 Tablespoons total is enough) in the wheat crackers and I add some secret seasonings. I happen to know these are fantastic crackers because I have made them many times, and i made up the recipe myself. I also wrote a recipe for cheese crackers and it is almost exactly the same as the one in the book (again omitting super secret seasonings that make them way better) Great minds think alike??

This book is a mixture of recipes, photos, and stories involving the recipes. I wish that she would write a book with just the stories because she has led an amazing life and I felt the stories ended right where I wanted to hear more. This is a heavy and very nicely made book. I loved the texture on the cover and the photographs inside. This was not really new material for me as I've read a couple of other books like this one before, but it was still good. I definitely still want to try my hand at cheesemaking sometime, and it seems like the recipes in here are pretty fail safe.

I am baking one of the granola bars listed (car snacks: the sweet one) right now as I type this and I am saving quite a few recipes from the book as i have to return it to the library. I am also going to try her pie crust recipe and method for my Thanksgiving pies this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.

11/03/2012 page 80