Andy Shuping's Reviews > Cinderella, Vol. 1: From Fabletown with Love

Cinderella, Vol. 1 by Chris Roberson

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel

The Fables universe has long been one of my favorite continuing comic stories. The depth and breadth of the characters, the fantastic storylines, and the imagery is absolutely fantastic. And then I heard about this spin off of Cinderella into her own short little series and I was hesitant. It wasn’t Bill Willingham writing it…would it be good? Needless to say my fears were unfounded as Chris Roberson creates a fantastic story for Cinderella, Fabletown’s ultimate spy. The story is well written and the art is fantastic. So hang on for an adventure with a spy.

When artifacts from the Homelands start surfacing in the modern world only one fable can find out what’s going on. Cinderella, Fabletown’s top secret spy and their best dressed agent. But she may not be the only agent on the case. And there are rumors…dark rumors of a powerful magical force lurking about in surprise. So not only does Cindy have to go out and find out what’s going on before Fabletown is exposed, she also has to worry about Crispin and her shoe store! Seems that he thinks he should run things. What’s a girl to do? Kick butt, take no prisoners, and save the world of course.

Just like the regular series I love that the characters are turned on their head a bit. While Bill created the character of Cindy as super spy, Chris’s story has really brought her to life. He gives her a backstory, letting readers see the amount of depth that the character really has. The story itself is well told super spy story, ala James Bondish…except I think Cindy is a much better spy than James Bond. I mean after all who would expect a simple shoe store owner to be able to kick that much butt? I’m sure Bill signed off on what Chris was planning (Bill does have to keep writing the Fables universe after all), but Chris adds some really nice twists and turns in this story making use of some classic Fables misconceptions. I also really like the addition of (minor spoiler) Aladdin as a foil for Cindy to play off of. The one downside to the story…the Crispin aspect. I’d have prefered to see that as a separate story almost than one mixed in with what Cindy is up to. It just interrupts the flow of the rest of the story a bit.

The artwork is classic Fables capturing the characters in all of the style and elegance they deserve. Shawn draws a number of action sequences in this collection, with Cindy kicking butt seemingly every other page and the details that he gives to the characters are absolutely perfect. Hair flying in the breeze, skirts/dresses billowing out, and I can believe that the characters are really fighting. I also really enjoyed the depiction of Aladdin’s all powerful genie. Its only one panel, but its a fantastic image. The one weak point of the artwork, for me at least, are the depictions of the animal characters. They just appear too cartoony next to the human characters, the Marquis De Carabas in particular. It’s just a bit jarring. Luckily they don’t show up that much in the collection. I also want to make mention of Chrissie Zullo’s covers for the series. I love her art style that captures Cindy as almost vulnerable, but an edge of hardness. She really plays up the James Bond aspect of Cindy.

I really enjoyed this collection and it’s a great addition to the Fables Universe and I can’t wait to see what the next volume is like. I recommend this collection to and fan of Fables and if you haven’t read Fables yet (why the heck not?) this is pretty good introduction to the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella, Vol. 1.