Linda's Reviews > Becoming Dead Right: A Hospice Volunteer in Urban Nursing Homes

Becoming Dead Right by Frances Shani Parker

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: spiritual
Read from July 05 to 10, 2012

This heart warming book was written by a principal and hospice volunteer. The author shares the stories of several terminal patients and what she learned by working with them. Moreover, she provides insight into what needs to happen to create the best positive environment for the dying patient and those in nursing homes and makes numerous specific recommendations regarding the creation of the perfect nursing home. The book stresses the importance palliative care, respecting cultural differences in the sick and dying, and ensuring safe, quality care for everyone. Each chapter ends with a poem by the author and I found these to be heartfelt and insightful. In a nation in which we tend to avoid the topic of death and frequently neglect the medical needs of the poor and elderly, the book is a welcome reminder of the challenges we have to address if we are to make dying a more peaceful process for patients and for their families.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Dead Right.