Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: arc-tour, posted-on-blog, zombeeeeez
Read from July 09 to 13, 2012

As a teenager who is never allowed to go out at night, Alice Bell doesn't think her life is so great. But it's about to get worse. Alice loses her father, mother, and beloved little sister on her sixteenth birthday. In the midst of everything, she sees the monstrous creatures that her dad had been protecting her from for her whole life--the ones she didn't believe were real.

Alice moves in with her grandparents and meets Cole Holland, the painfully gorgeous but violent bad boy of her new school. She is quickly and inexplicably drawn to him, and he draws her into his world of zombie slaying. Alice now knows these creatures caused her family's death. And she wants revenge.

So...another book with a cover readers are drooling over. A pretty girl in a pretty dress...that has not much to do with the story. Although, if you look closely, you will see the dark edges of the forest she's in are starting to touch her. This is a bit symbolic, so I'll give the cover designer credit for that, at least.

Alice is pretty cool. I think she's a very believable teenage girl. She's understandably beyond devastated with the loss of everyone she loved, and it changes her. Alice is just drifting through her life aimlessly, until she finally gets a purpose--killing zombies. I love her more once she toughens up, and the best thing about her is that she is not afraid of anything or anyone--even the toughest girl and guy in the school.

The guy, Cole, is a typical YA sexy bad boy that all the girls want. He is rough around the edges, except when it comes to Alice. I wouldn't call the relationship between them insta-love, seeing as they didn't so much as TALK for the first 100 pages, but it was pretty predictable and went in a direction I'm kind of tiring of in YA lit.

Now, the main reason I wanted to read this book is because of the zombies--undead slaying, gory, BRAAAAIIIINNSS zombie action. But, there is not so much of that for the first half of the book. And then when the zombies finally came in--well, I for one was disappointed. I don't want to spoil them for anyone, but these zombies are kind of a weird cross breed. Yes, they are different than other zombies, but I feel like this was forced--like the author wanted them to be different just for the sake of being different. A lot of the explanation surrounding them and how to fight them was not explained too well.

As an homage to Alice in Wonderland, I'm not sure it succeeded either. There were references--Alice's name, the white rabbit--but not enough, I felt, to evoke thoughts of Lewis Carroll's classic.

The fighting action did pick up later in the book, but there were definitely several things that were left totally unanswered for me. This book, as a zombie book, just kind of left me with a meh feeling. If you're not strictly looking for zombie action--then you may like it better than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Zombieland.

07/10/2012 page 83
07/11/2012 page 150
37.0% "Not a whole lot of zombie action for a book with zombie in its title"
show 2 hidden updates…