Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling

Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino

Jul 05, 2012

liked it
Read from July 05 to 07, 2012

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

I’m not quite sure about calling this a Victorian gothic tale as I can’t quite place the time period through the language, clothing, and social aspects used within – it seems to be more a of mish-mash of time periods – which is OK if you go into knowing that and not expecting a purely Victorian time period.

It is a gothic tale though and the world that the Darrow boys and Charlotte cross over into is mesmerizing. While I am not one to do comparisons, I can’t help saying that those portions felt like Tim Burton and Neil Gaiman had a love child that decided to create an alternate reality. It’s kind of like that and I kind of loved it.

What I didn’t get was the fact that Charlotte is playing a “game” with the master of Darkling, whom Mrs. Darrow is indebted to. I felt lost as I never saw what moves he was actually making, because it wasn’t from his point of view. And it just didn’t feel sinister enough to me – not like it should have for what was on the line.

I did enjoy the characters that were otherworldly as they were creatures, some that pretended to be human and some that clearly couldn’t care less. The oddities that came with those characters were inventive and intriguing and if we would have stayed with them the entire time I wouldn’t have minded one bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling.

07/06/2012 page 135