April's Reviews > Carrie's War

Carrie's War by Nina Bawden

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: assigned-reading, classics, childrens, historicals, childhood-reads
Read from September 01 to December 01, 2004 — I own a copy

I remember having to read this in Primary School and loving every moment of it. We would always have reading sessions on the carpet and we would guess what would happen next and what the 'big secret' was that Carrie was running from throughout the novel. The setting was pretty convenient too as that year we had a major World War 2 assembly and all of our year dressed as evacuees (so much so that we ourselves felt 'labelled like parcels'). It was really pleasant to read something lively and enjoyable relating to WW2. I'm not really sure whether anybody ever did have to but we never analysed it - we merely read it for the merriness of reading aloud to one another. I feel kind of bad for those who did; on it's own it's a delightful read but picking it apart would probably make it boring. It is a delightful read though, I'd enjoy it just as much as now as I did then - even with knowledge of the ending. Bravo, Bawden.

Read for: Fifth Year English, Primary School

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie's War.