M.'s Reviews > While It Lasts

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

Jul 31, 12

liked it
bookshelves: ya-contemporary-romance, july-2012-release, very-cliche, virgin-manwhore-pairing
Read from July 30 to 31, 2012

At first, I didn't know how to rate this book. There were many aspects in it that made me cringe. My main problem with it was the same recycled formulaic plot Abbi Glines uses in all of her books. The heroine is always a virgin, no matter how old she is - 16, 17, 20 - or how many previous relationships she had prior to the story. The love interest is always more sexually experienced than the girls, the levels varying. In While it Lasts, it was the classic virgin/manwhore pairing. I'm really sick and tired of this type of romantic pairing to be shoved down our throats in contemporary literature.
I'm also sick and tired to see the other girls in the book being portrayed as sluts. The message these type of story lines give is that if you are not a virgin then you can only be a whore. There is no in between in the realm of YA literature it seems.
What about writing about a girl who actually enjoys sex, it's not ashamed of it, and can still find her prince charming, a guy who is not a manwhore and who will not look down on her because, heaven forbid, she is not a virgin? But alas, that book will probably never sell!
So, you see, I faced a conundrum because despite of all that, the book was well written and I enjoyed the characters. It was not their fault after all what type of backgrounds they got. I would have preferred if Eva wasn't a virgin for sure. Come on, she was 20 and she had been engaged to her childhood sweetheart. I found that detail rather unbelievable. Another complete BS aspect was Eva's sudden prowess in bed. Yeah, right.
So, if Eva had been based on reality, instead of created only to fulfill a basic cliche, I could have overlooked the double standards (menwhore are worthy redemption, slutty girls deserve to catch an STD and burn in hell). But no, the virgin bit just cost While it Lasts 2 stars unfortunately.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While It Lasts.

message 1: by Ferdy (new)

Ferdy Ugh..Abbi Glines always writes the same manwhore/virgin pairings..I end up skimming all her books and then returning them.

message 2: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. The sad part is that her books would be so much better if she didn't use the same boring old cliches. Oh well...