Becky's Reviews > The Book of Negroes

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, historical-fiction, bad-shit-and-atrocities, ebook_nook, politicalish, reviewed, the_south, tear-jerkers
Recommended to Becky by: Historical Fictionistas
Read from January 21 to 29, 2012

I've wanted to read this book for a long time, so when it was chosen as a group read in my Historical Fiction group, I jumped at the chance to push it to the top of my list. And I'm very glad that I did.

Aminata Diallo was pulled from her home in Africa at 11, forced to walk 3 months to the coast, crossed the Atlantic on a slave ship, and then was sold into slavery. From there, her story veers off in unexpected directions, and I found myself fascinated and completely wrapped up in her life and all of it's hardships and losses.

I loved Aminata. I loved her intelligence, her perseverance, her strength to keep going after every stumble and setback and heartbreak. I knew where she'd end up - that's where we start her story - but I didn't know how we'd get there. Throughout the story there's this sense of perilous doom that hangs overhead. It wouldn't be a tale about slavery and human cruelty if there wasn't. But at the same time, there's a distinct sense of hope and purpose that made me want to keep travelling with Aminata, to keep seeing what was around the next bend of the road.

The writing was beautiful. A joy to read, really. I marked so many quotes on my nook while reading this one. I was drawn completely into Aminata's world, no matter where she was. I could see it, hear it, smell it, feel it.

There were some inconsistencies regarding the dates, and toward the end, there were quite a few repetitive thoughts, but overall, I loved this story. Very glad that I read it.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Negroes.

01/21
01/22
21.0% "Wow... No glossing over anything here. This is brutal." 1 comment
01/29
48.0% "Book three already? Wow. I am so loving this book. It's heartbreaking in such a subtle way."
01/29
75.0% 1 comment
03/09 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Trudi Hey, I'm reading this for my real life book club next month! It's been on my TBR list for AGES. Looking forward to it though!

Becky Trudi wrote: "Hey, I'm reading this for my real life book club next month! It's been on my TBR list for AGES. Looking forward to it though!"

It was chosen for my Historical Fiction group this month. I'm looking forward to it as well. I've read 2 whole pages, and I like it so far! LOL

Patricia Mongey I would say, among the BEST I've ever read.