Jennifer Hufford's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Jul 25, 12

Read from July 05 to 10, 2012, read count: 1

I "pos-i-toot-ly" wish I could rewrite the book's blurb for the publisher! If I had read the blurb before I started reading the book, I might never have turned that first page. But I'm so happy I did--I loved this book! It's a fantastic story and though longish (600+ pages), the last 150 or so pages were, well, page-turning. I wasn't a huge fan of Evie at first; in the beginning her voice and manner were grating. But she grew on me and overall she's a fantastic heroine. And there's so many more characters than Evie. The blurb makes it sound like Evie is the central character of the story but in truth many characters and their stories are given almost equal weight, forming a fully-fleshed, engrossing cast. I love the period details, and Bray has a special magic for transporting you to the 1920s without being trivial or, likewise, heavy-handed. I was surprised how grisly the murders were. The serial killer is truly creepy and scary (I gasped audibly during a few scenes). But so, so good too. I would highly recommend this to anyone in search of a rip-roaring good tale (and who doesn't go green in the gills at gruesome death scene details).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.