Sarah's Reviews > A Confusion of Princes

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

F 50x66
Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

Sorry I have to come right out and say it, I did not enjoy this book. The author, Garth Nix has a clear issue finding the characters voice. He is seemingly very formal and to the point but all of the sudden the author tries to sneak in a colloquialism. I also really don’t enjoy being talked at through the novel. I read books to find another world and experience characters lives, I do not want them to physically be talking to me. (As an example, “Let me take you through the bare facts of my childhood. I am presuming you’re not an Imperial Prince, which you’d better not be or I’ll have wasted all the careful preparations that are supposed to make this record detonate with a ridiculously large antimatter explosion if it is accessed by any kind of Princely sensory augmentation.”) Another issue with this book is that it isn’t really suspenseful. The first words of the novel are, “I have died three times, and three times been reborn, though I am not yet twenty in the old Earth years by which it is still the fashion to measure time.” So each time you know that he’s never really in danger because he still has X amount of times to come back. You also can assume that he hasn’t died a fourth time because of the way he talks to the reader with all the you this, you that and the fact that he’s stated in the present tense “I am not yet twenty.” He expects to make it to twenty and beyond.

In addition to knowing he won’t die and isn’t in any true danger. His interactions with other characters are not really interesting. Oh look another Prince be respectful, know that they can try to kill you, blah, blah, blah. It just was not a good book, I enjoyed the last few chapters but I can’t really say they’re worth suffering through the whole book for. I am glad that this book actually ended and is a stand alone novel because I feel like we see so many series these days and it’s rare to just find out the whole story in one novel. Sorry but I have to give this a one and a half out of five stars.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confusion of Princes.

Leanna agreed! no suspense at all. And the deaths were even a let-down too- I was hoping for more drama :)