Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .'s Reviews > Water

Water by Terra Harmony

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, paranormal-romance, fantasy, mature-young-adult
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: The Nexus! R2R
Recommended for: adult, mature YA, fantasy, paranormal readers
Read from July 05 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

Water is the first book in the Akasha series written by Terra Harmony. I read this as a R2R with The Nexus! As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

THIS BOOK DREW ME IN, kept me hook, left me uncomfortable, reeling with both excitement and trepidation and ready for book two by the time I hit the last page! Bravo!

The Rundown:
Being told you’re a supernatural being is difficult on any given day, but when Kaitlyn Alder finds herself kidnapped and held hostage by a paramilitary group claiming to be saviors of the planet, she starts having serious doubts on just who the insane party really is.

Kaitlyn is a loner and lives a life of solitude with no family and few friends, keeping herself distant from human contact and emotion. Having taken a career as a photographer, tragedy seems to follow her around like a bad disease.

Alone on ski trip vacation, she’s caught up in an avalanche while boarding down a mountain. Having barely survived only to find herself encased in a mass of snow, surely left for dead, she miraculously awakens to another nightmare. She’s been kidnapped by strangers, trapped on an island, being poked and prodded by a medical team and being told a fantastical tale of Earth elementals, which she happens to be one of. Worse yet, she’s supposedly the one that has caused all the natural disasters that have followed her around her whole life.

Surrounded by strangers, some who want to befriend her, some who dislike her on sight, most who are scared of her, Kaitlyn must try to survive her new life before its too late and before she loses whats left of her sanity.

The Review:
This book was pretty freaking FANTASTIC!!! We are immediately plunged into a sordid paranormal tale of kidnapping, ruination and life altering actions, for one Kaitlyn Alder. And IT DID NOT STOP until the very last page and even then we are left with one heck of a cliffhanger. Kaitlyn’s strength of character, her tough girl act and her energy draw you to her from the moment she’s first introduced. What this girl goes through from beginning to end would break any and all other persons. I literally couldn’t cheer for any of the relationships she formed while being held captive, other than perhaps Alex. He seemed to be her only genuine friend, and maybe Susan, towards the end. Even the love interest, Micah, was questionable most of the time. He was her protector and did an appalling job of keeping her safe! Shawn was a depraved narcissist and needed a global pounding. His debauchery and the things he did were horrific in the extreme. I couldn’t even support for the Seven organization whose sole mission was to gather (abduct in some cases) like-minded paranormal people to “save the planet”. However altruistic their goal, their methods archaic!

The entire book was a complete and total mind screw… and I couldn’t put it down!!! What an amazing read!

Wishlist:
There are a few points that I want to bring up that kept me from giving this a full five stars. There were moments in the book where I felt like the story was glossed over and “told” to the reader instead of having emotional investment or descriptive writing to tell the story. Kaitlyn went through a lot of traumatic experiences throughout the book and I felt like those feelings should have been explored and expanded upon. There was no way a person in her position, no matter how strong she was, would have held brave while being kidnapped, held hostage, being forced to do things and thrown into situations she couldn’t control, enduring the pain inflicted on her, and not come out an emotional basket case or able stand firm while her tormentors persisted in their cruelty. I don’t mean she needed to sit around crying the whole time, but I felt like these emotions and events should have been explored more. Even at the end, we didn’t get any reaction from her friends. I was left wanting. Maybe we’ll see more of that in the sequel?

The Wrap Up:
Regardless, I’m excited to read on to book two, Air. I the creativity and ideas for this story were a wonder to read and I think this is an amazing start to what could be an exceptional series!

NOTE: Though this book is classified as YA, it contains Mature Subject Matter. Be advised.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water.