Maya's Reviews > Twin Spica, Volume: 01

Sep 01, 14

bookshelves: manga-comics-graphic-novels-etc, series-on-standby
Read in July, 2012

Review for volumes 1 - 4

Twin Spica is a touching story about growing up and pursuing your dream.

For the characters in this one, the dream in question is to become an astronaut, but you can really replace it with anything else you're passionate about, because the emotions and struggles depicted here are universal. And even if you don't care much about outer space, the many images of starry skies and planets are always beautiful to look at.

For me the series has a very calming atmosphere, with some dramatic and sad scenes interspersed regularly. It probably qualifies as magical realism, since there are apparently real ghosts, and it is also extremely realistic Science Fiction. After 4 volumes we're still at the beginning of the story, so there isn't all that much to say. We're still getting to know the characters and their diverse, often tragic backgrounds and I enjoy their interactions and their complexity which is gradually being revealed.

The art is, well, cute, I guess. It makes Twin Spica look like a children's story, but actually the series is aimed at adults. It's not really my favorite style (even though Asumi as a child is simply adorable), but works rather well with this story. From a technical point of view it sometimes looks a bit weird, but I'm impressed by the way the author can use light and shadow to emphasize important and emotional scenes. His large panel drawings are usually very pretty.

In general, Twin Spica is a completely character-driven work. Of course, they take their classes and tests preparing them to become astronauts, but the main focus is really on the characters and their everyday lives (and pasts). It is a calm but extremely well done Slice-of-Life series that can turn tragic at times (some episodes are heart-breaking). There is a story to tell with interesting characters and things actually happen. Not in terms of big action, but of character development. It's just a mostly realistic and down-to-earth story. So if you like these, Twin Spica is definitely worth picking up. It's also interesting if you want to see what an “adult manga” free of any clichés looks like. I'm looking forward to the next volumes and to seeing which direction the story will take.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twin Spica, Volume.