Rich Stoehr's Reviews > Hidden

Hidden by Kendra Elliot

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: amazon-vine
Read from July 08 to 16, 2012

Kendra Elliot's Hidden is billed as a romantic thriller. I just finished the book last night, and I'm still trying to figure out where the "thriller" part comes in.

Is it perhaps in the thrill Lacey feels when she first sees Jack Harper's steel blue eyes or catches a whiff of his "clean male" scent or intuits his "cut abs"? Is it in Jack's appreciation of Lacey's curves "in all the right places," even when he first notices her at a murder scene?

Because, certainly, it's not in the heavy repetition of those descriptions, thrown at us over and over again. It's definitely not in the obvious signals of who's going to end up with who, starting from page 12 and never letting up. I didn't see it in Lacey's profession as a forensic odontologist (teeth expert, basically), which is important in the first chapter and then never comes up again. And I sure didn't see it in the impending serial killer investigation, which takes place mostly in the background of Lacey and Jack's budding and tempestuous romance.

I could have at least respected all of this if the story had held any surprises or unexpected turns at all - but alas, it was not to be. I give Elliot credit for at least being consistent and telling a story that played out. The problem(s) being that the conclusion was predictable, the writing ham-handed, the villain bland, and the romance was locked into a track more steadily than a freight train, and about as interesting.

To put it simply, don't go into this expecting a thriller on the level of Jackson, Reichs, Jance or Cornwell. There's none of that here. I tend to like my thrillers dark, twisty, and unpredictable, and Hidden hits none of those marks.

It's a book without a bite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden.

07/10/2012 page 93
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jill Lol! I love your perspective on this book from a guy's pov! It really should have been labelled romantic suspense a genre specifically directed to female readers.

Rich Stoehr I'm glad you liked the review, Jill - the thing is, I actually like a lot of books aimed at a female audience. This one in particular just didn't do it for me. I also know a lot of women who probably wouldn't have even bothered finishing it, but they do like books about tough, independent, smart women. The point of my review was to point out that this book would be disappointing to them, as it was to me.

message 3: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina I totally agree with your review :-)

message 4: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz LOL. The 2nd paragraph made me laugh.

Rich Stoehr Good - Then my work here is done! :)

Becky I have to disagree that this is "from a guy's perspective" (except that Rich is a guy), because I'm a woman and was relieved to see someone had written a review of this EXACTLY as I would have. In fact, I figured it was another woman writing it until I went back and looked at the name. Thanks, Rich, for saying what I was thinking. And I shouldn't have finished the book at all. I think I gave it two stars.

Rich Stoehr Thanks, Becky. I know lots of women who wouldn't have bothered finishing this one. At least you saw it through!

message 8: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen I'm with Becky. I just started this book and based on this review I mostly likely won't finish it.

Jonathan Shanahan I read it not thinking it was in the romantic, thriller genre beforehand. Its ok, bought her second book ,reading it now. Give Kendra a chance. Cant believe people would stop reading books they started upon reading a review. Finish it!

message 10: by Aditi (new)

Aditi I completely agree with your review. It was funny hahah the second paragraph but i know right?