Frederick Brooke's Reviews > Davey the Detective

Davey the Detective by Emlyn Chand

Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

My kids are too old for Davey, so what do you know, I read this little book for my own pleasure, just for the little kid in me. I grew up on Busy, Busy World by Richard Scarry and Uncle Wiggily, by Howard Garis. Davey fits right in with those old classics.

Kids will relate to the story here: Davey had new treasure, and now it's gone. Someone must've stolen it! Davey finds a friend who agrees to go off and play detective with him, and they set off into the forest. Like kids everywhere, they establish the roles early on and keep reminding each other of them: Davey's the detective, while his friend, Sarah the sparrow, is his sidekick.

But I also love the language tricks we are playing all the way through the story. What do you do when you don't know what a thing is called? You take a verbal detour and describe it. The object Davey found, and is now missing, is a "bendy, silver object full of twists and turns." When the child sees the object in the wonderful illustration on the next page, he or she will laugh with immediate recognition and at the notion that this bird, clever as he may be, doesn't know the names of common office supplies.

The story teaches valuable lessons about friendship and trusting and communication while delighting the eye with rich illustrations of animals in the forest by Sarah Shaw. Don't hesitate for a minute. Your child will want to hear this story over and over again, and will make new discoveries with each reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Davey the Detective.