Teresa's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

liked it
bookshelves: 21st-century, brit-lit
Read from September 08 to 09, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5/5
This story is about Christopher, a fifteen-year-old boy who has Asperger's Syndrome, a kind of autism that I wasn't very familiar with. He lives with his father in Swindon and goes to a special school. One night, he sees from his window that Wellington, a neighbour's dog, has been killed with a garden fork, and his settles on discovering who did it. And this will turn his world upside down. Chris will have to confront his father, and doing basically everything that he's scared of.
The main interesting feature of this book it the main character, and being in the mind of someone with Asperger's. I did know little about it, and most of them were misconceptions from pop culture (e.g. The Big Bang Theory). But it's so very well written that you really get inside his brains, how he thinks and his logic. And you also feel like he does, especially in the second half of the book where everything is pretty messed up, confused and with an overload of information. Also, including the drawings, pictures, and mathematical questions was also an interesting part of the book.
The mystery itself is no big thing, if we didn't see it through Christopher's eyes we would clearly think it was evident. And actually there are many chapters where he doesn't even talk bout the dog or his investigation, but about completely different things (more related with his personality), which I think I liked the most.
It's an enjoyable reading!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

09/08/2012 page 32
09/09/2012 page 177
65.0% "'And it's funny because economists are not real scientist' well ok I think we need to have a little chat you and I."
show 6 hidden updates…