Clark Goble's Reviews > Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus

Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman

Nov 14, 12

Read in January, 2012

I was fortunate to read Idleman’s book immediately after Tozer’s The Pursuit of God. I say this because “Not a Fan” is the perfect counterpart to Tozer. Idleman challenges the reader to identify themselves as a follower of Christ or a mere fan and presents the argument that many who identify themselves as the former are actually the latter.

Idleman presents a wonderful argument against the “cheap” Christianity that runs rampant in the Church and encourages his readers to “get to a place where following Jesus is so important to them, that if they lost everything it would still be worth it” (p. 66).

This book causes the reader to reflect upon his own faith. In my case, I was convicted in several areas of my life. I was able to recognize those parts of my life that I simply wasn’t prepared to surrender to Christ. It’s a simple concept really. When Christ asks us to give up everything to follow Him, what is the one thing you would refuse to let go of? This may be a simple concept but is difficult in practice. If Christ isn’t what we hold most dear, we are a fan – not a follower.

While Tozer’s book placed in me the desire to pursue Christ daily, Idleman’s gave me a practical vision of what such a pursuit entails.

This book will certainly be added to my list of recommended reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not a Fan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joshua I was reading them along side eachother! Great companion books.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I just finished Pursuit of God and started on this! Cool!