Kelsey Keating's Reviews > Tangled Tides

Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper

Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

Compared to the other mythical creatures in literature, mermaids don't have as much of a voice. Enter Karen Amanda Hooper's Tangled Tides. Mermaids are the main focus, but Karen doesn't just drop you at one act of myth, instead creating a whole world of deep and meaningful characters. Even those who only lasted a few pages were strong enough to stand alone in the world of the ocean depths. (Do I need to mention I couldn't put this book down even when I was on the treadmill?)
Yara (love the name) is wonderfully headstrong yet fragile when her whole world turns upside down and living underwater is no longer a questionable thing. I might have taken to being a fish a bit quicker, but Yara's determination to be human again toward the beginning is part of her charm.

Now, I read the reviews before I purchased this book and I would like to address those of the two star or less variety: I don't think they read past page 10. They are caught up in "seagarette" and "c-weed", which they deem somehow cliche when I've NEVER heard of those phrases before. They didn't give the story a chance, but YOU definitely should.

Ms. Hooper has drafted a world where each character's voice is unique and gives you a clear mind map of who they are and what they want. Yara and Treygan are a wonderful pair for humor, romance, and the tension that makes a reader's heart pound.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangled Tides.

Karen Thanks so much for taking the time to review TT! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

My seagarettes and c-weed seemed to be the most controversial issue in the book. I had no idea so many readers wouldn't like healthy, live-saving plants. Eek :( Thanks for encouraging readers to push past the opening pages!