Linda's Reviews > Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator

Gilda Joyce by Jennifer Allison

Jul 05, 12

Read in July, 2012

This is a solid book. Gilda, the 13 year-old protagonist, is a very well-drawn thought-out character. It reminds me of what it was like to be 13 with hopes and dreams of being an adult and with always looking for a mystery to solve (I never found one). However, Gilda is a very gutsy outspoken kid often bordering on the rude side. The book is the first one of a series and I will certainly read the other book that I own. The book is less paranormal, although there are a few elements, and more a coming-of-age book, although the agonies of being 13 doesn't seem to bother Gilda all that much. Longing to become a psychic investigator and bored with life, Gilda invites herself to visit her mother's cousin Lester in San Francisco where he lives in a big old mansion with his disdainful and lonely 13 year-old daughter. The girls clash, of course. There is the mystery of why Lester's sister jumped out of the tower window to her death 10 years before. The tower is locked and the girls are forbidden access to it. Not that rules faze Gilda. She is determined to interview Melanie's ghost, a ghost whose footsteps she hears climbing the tower stairs each night! I'd like to give it 3.5 stars since it's better written than 3 stars but not quite worth 4.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilda Joyce.