Betsy's Reviews > Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker

Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, foodie, memoir, wishlist, small-town-love, favorites
Read from July 05 to 09, 2012

This is was the most beautifully written "foodie" book I've read. When I picked it up, I actually didn't realize it was written by Sandra Bullock's sister! I provided a little glimpse into the actresses's life as well.

The memoir is told throughout the course of the day, hour by hour, from waking up at 4:30am to closing at 6pm. The chapters are filled with rich stories of food, family and life. I especially loved hearing Gesine tell about her German mother and her grandmother and the traditions involving food. Wonderful memories encompassing the holidays, ethnic customs, and meaning of dishes to people warmed my heart. It really did make me want to get on a plane and head to Vermont to try her macaroons or flourless chocolate hearts and meet the staff and town she loving refers to throughout.

Her honesty of Hollywood life was also a good read. I can definitely see the appeal of becoming famous or living in LA, but like Gesine, I know I would get sick and tired of working so hard and getting walked all over. A small bakery in the county would suit me just fine.

I highly recommend this book to everyone...foodie or not! You will love her stories and recipes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confections of a Closet Master Baker.